The Green Team works within and beyond our church to live out God’s call to sustainability.
We believe that caring for our planet lies at the foundation of our faith.
Come help us make a difference!
Local Girl Scout Troop Earns “Go Green” Badges
A local Girl Scout Troop was working on the “Go Green” badges and found our page helpful in their research. Here is the letter we received from them along with an article they thought would be helpful for other girl scout troops.
Marion Medical Missions Goal Met
The goal for Marion Medical Missions was met with the church contributing $2,800 to pay for seven wells.
Green Team Job Descriptions
Coordinator Job Description
- The Coordinator creates the agenda and helps the group determine which projects to undertake.
- The Coordinator sets meeting time and dates, leads meetings, ensures that the agenda is followed and the conversation stays relevant, and keeps meetings on some sort of timeframe.
- The Coordinator hands off the position to the next pre-determined coordinator no less frequently than once every two months.
- The present Coordinator leads at least two meetings.
- The Coordinator ensures that this transition to the next Coordinator is as smooth as possible and that the next Coordinator is given a written notice of where the previous Coordinator left off. The prior, present, and future Coordinators form an ‘executive council,’ which should meet in order to promote stability, continuity, and support.
- The Coordinator emails the group in the week prior to a meeting with the meeting’s agenda and anything else they feel relevant to the Green Team.
- The Coordinator keeps tabs on the different projects to ensure that they are running effectively and smoothly.
- The Coordinator sends a completed copy of each meeting’s agenda to the Youth Director (email@example.com) to be uploaded to the Green Team webpage.
- The Coordinator oversees the other positions of Educator, Secretary/Treasurer, and Website Liaison, supports these persons, and
ensures that they are carrying out their jobs in accordance with their job descriptions.
- The Coordinator notifies the church receptionist (firstname.lastname@example.org) of future meetings.
- The Coordinator keeps the group informed of anything not stated in the minutes.
- The Coordinator actively seeks to strengthen the Green Team, by getting to know the old members and actively seeking out new ones.
- The Coordinator relates to the Church Council and pastors of the church to make sure that Green Team activities are in line with the mission and vision of the church, and are supported by the church.
- The Coordinator works with the Secretary/Treasurer to ensure that all money received or spent by the Green Team is handled appropriately and in accordance with church policies.
- The Coordinator ensures that meetings aren’t excessively boring.
- The Coordinator is quick to laugh, love, and forgive, and remembers the one whom the Green Team ultimately serves.
Educator Job Description
- The Educator educates the congregation and the community of the activities of the Green Team as well as the urgency of sustainability, its significance within our faith, and its practical manifestation within our daily lives. They do this both by distributing information themselves and by delegating the task to others.
- The Educator ensures that the Green Team publishes at least one informative, interesting, and relevant article on how people can live more sustainably in every newsletter.
- The Educator ensures that the Green Team publishes at least one article in the bulletin a month informing the congregation on the activities of the Green Team, whether they are recent initiatives, meeting dates, or something else.
- The Educator leads at least one major church-wide or community education campaign every 6 months. For instance, one such campaign could have been titled “Beyond Styrofoam”, where the Educator led the Green Team in utilizing talks, posters, articles, and demonstrations to convince people to make positive change. These campaigns must have clear objectives at their beginning, which will be used to measure their success upon their conclusion.
- The Educator gives a brief synopsis of the education efforts at meetings and accepts advice from others.
- The Educator keeps a playful touch and remembers the one whom the Green Team ultimately serves.
Secretary/Treasurer Job Description
- The Secretary/Treasurer supports the mission of the Green Team by keeping and disseminating accurate records.
- The Secretary/Treasurer takes attendance at meetings, in which they record names as well as contact information.
- The Secretary/Treasurer records minutes at meetings, which are comprised of the important information the group discusses.
- The Secretary/Treasurer emails the minutes to the group and the church secretary (email@example.com) within one week of the meeting.
- The Secretary/Treasurer keeps a log of minutes from past meetings.
- The Secretary/Treasurer oversees any incoming or outgoing money of the Green Team and ensures it is handled appropriately and in accordance with church policies.
- The Secretary/Treasurer does not undervalue the importance of his or her work and remembers the one whom the Green Team ultimately serves.
Website Liaison Job Description
- The Website Liaison keeps up a webpage that communicates to and for the Green Team.
- The Website Liaison updates the website with a list of future Coordinators and for which period they will serve.
- The Website Liaison works with church staff to design and update an informative, useful, and ascetically pleasing webpage.
- The Website Liaison updates the webpage at least once a month to reflect the changing initiatives of the Green Team.
- The Website Liaison regularly uploads articles, pictures, links, and/or interactive activities to the webpage.
- The Website Liaison takes pride in their work and remembers the one whom they ultimately serve.